The above photos are of my current creation. Three DBA Marian Roman Armies with some options and accessories for a 6 player DBA campaign. I learned how to make these figures following some information I read on rice armies on TMP. The figures are nominally 5mm in scale and I have based them on the 15mm scale DBA bases. I think the overall effect was worth the effort as I made these in about 5 nights of hobby bench work that includes cutting, basing, priming, painting, touch up. I cannot wait to get them into action.
Here is the link to a cool article on the process of cutting up a hair roller to make strips of tiny men in rank. The horse is my own creation and I call it the "Van Pelt" cut.
To make the horse: acquire some plastic grid used for needlepoint craft.
You will cut a horse silhouette from the grid to scale with your army men.
VAN PELT CUT copyright 2009
Each of the black lines above indicate an Xacto slice. There are some subtle cuts you can do on the item to create a mane, a helmet on the rider, legs under saddle.
I have shaded in the horse and rider you are trying to sculpt. Don't cut these out one at a time.
Cut one for practice and then cut strips out - counting the number of lines you need to get each model. Then pick one of the slices and cut a multitude of figures all sequentially at once.
Using Aeleene's tack PVA glue, glue them down to the cardstock base and paint them in place on their final DBA stand.
I am so proud of this design idea. Beats gluing together rice.
Wait till you see my Lima bean hephalumps.
Thanks for reading.
Leave a comment.